Malcolm Miranda and Associates, P.C.
Se Habla Español
Helping You Make Good Decisions During Difficult Times
View Practice Areas

McKinney Legal Blog

Can you come to the United States with a family green card?

Immigration is a hot topic currently, and there are a lot of misconceptions regarding this legal process that may prevent people from moving forward with their immigration or visa applications. Despite what you may hear on the news or from others, you still have the right to apply for a green card.

If you have the dream of living and working in the United States in Texas, you have no time to lose in protecting your interests and pursuing your objectives. If you have a relative who is already a citizen of the United States, you may be able to apply for a green card through your family member.

What does it take to get an EB-1 visa?

If you join the thousands of other foreign nationals who wish to enter the country for employment purposes, you may already know that you must receive a visa in order to do so. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services allows for numerous classes of employment visas based on occupation and skill.

One of these visas is the EB-1, or First Preference, visa. The qualifications for this visa require that applicants possess some extraordinary ability, work in multinational executive or management positions, or meet the definition of outstanding as a researcher or professor. You must fall into certain criteria set forth for each of these categories to receive an EB-1 visa.

Removal of conditions makes a nice anniversary gift

Since coming to the United States, you have probably had many positive experiences. Undoubtedly, you have found a good job, made new friends and perhaps reunited with family who arrived here before you. Perhaps those friends and family gathered with you on your wedding day.

Your marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident not only marked the beginning of a new life as a spouse, but it was also the basis of your conditional resident status in this country. Since the government has legally admitted you as a conditional resident, your next step is to remove the conditions from your status.

Dispelling immigrant myths: Who commits the most crimes?

Texas is one of many immigration hubs in the nation. It makes perfect sense that many immigrants choose to take up residence here since it's so close to international borders. Whether you're a newly emigrated resident or moved here decades ago, you're likely aware of the various reasons many immigrants come to the United States. Some are business investors, boosting job creation through capital investment in commercial enterprise.

Others, however, are fleeing war-torn nations, extreme poverty and imminent danger. There are also many immigrants who enter the United States on employment-based visas; in fact, some families include prodigy children who excel in science and/or the arts. These facts obviously help refute myths that claim non-citizens commit the most criminal offenses or place undue burdens on the economy.

Will your divorce lead to deportation?

Do you remember when you first came to the United States? You just married your spouse and the two of you had dreams of what your life together would look like in the future. You might even have dreamt of collaborating on a business as part of your "American dream." Together, nothing could stop you; that is until, years later, you found yourselves facing off in a Texas divorce court.

Not only do you now face many family (and perhaps business) challenges, you're also worried about what might become of your legal status after the divorce.

H-1B visas are coveted by many, abused by some

You may be following the news regarding the changing immigration climate in the United States. Laws and policies regarding visas, green cards and deportation are hot button issues for reform. If you have been considering applying for an H-1B work visa, you may be concerned about the recent moves by the Trump administration to revamp the popular program.

Underage drinking and protecting your college career

When a college student makes a mistake involving alcohol, it can potentially lead to serious legal consequences. Underage drinking is always a crime, and Texas college students caught engaging in this behavior face fines, penalties and consequences from their college or university.

If you are facing charges related to underage drinking, it is important to act quickly to protect your rights and interests. It is possible to mitigate some of the consequences that can follow these types of criminal charges, but you should not do it alone. With help, you can protect your reputation, your college career and your future job opportunities.

Which relatives can be brought into the United States?

Out of all the relationships we can have in life, the connections we have with our families are some of the most important. Being able to share our lives with the ones we love drastically increases our quality of life, but if family members live in another country, sharing life experiences with them can be more difficult. Because of this, many people do their best to bring their families with them.

If you have been able to find or create a new life in the United States, it is reasonable that you would want to ensure that your family also has the ability to create their own lives here as well. Fortunately, the United States has developed programs that allow citizens to legally bring their families into the country. However, it is important to understand the types of family members before beginning the application process.

Even a minor crime in Texas can lead to deportation

Immigration has been a major focus of America politics for more than a decade. In the last eight years, the Obama Administration has deported over 2.5 million people, more than any president in U.S. history. The incoming administration has vowed to be much tougher on immigrants and the cornerstone of President-elect Trump's immigration policy is removing those who commit crimes.

Border states, such as Texas, have reported being the hardest hit by criminal activity among undocumented immigrants. This has caused Texas officials to become immigration hardliners who work closely with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

How can a young person obtain special immigrant juvenile status?

Green card status for minors is a pressing issue in Texas. Nearly three-quarters of the young people caught crossing the border illegally are specifically crossing into our state.

Because many of these young immigrants arriving in the U.S. are alone, they are often urgently in need of legal help. If you're seeking Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), or helping someone who is, it's important to understand some basic facts.

Email Us For A Response

Get Legal

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Malcolm Miranda and Associates, P.C.
1216 North Central Expressway
Suite 205
McKinney, Texas 75070

Phone: 469-714-0240
Fax: 469-714-0237
Map & Directions